This Halloween, you could make the obvious costume choice and dress up as a character from your favorite show, or you could switch things up and dress as the character did.
Because you might face multiple Jessica Days at a costume party, but how many will be dressed as Jessica Day as Joey Ramona Quimby?
And if you tell fellow party-goers you’re dressed as Abed as Batman, their minds will be blown with how meta you can be.
1. How I Met Your Mother: Ted, Lily and Marshall’s Third Wheel Series
As awkward as these are they’re still adorable. Hopefully the first Halloween after Ted mets up with the mother they can do a double couples costume and add some paprika to the mix.
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Oz as God
Sometimes pulling off a costume is all about confidence.
3. Community: Britta Perry as a Squirrel
Her commitment to a modest Halloween, as well as her use of props, is impressive.
4. Friends: Ross Gellar as Spud-nik
Dr. Gellar gets an A+ in puns, though he probably didn’t spark a costume trend.
5. Freaks and Geeks: Bill Haverchuck as The Bionic Woman
When you’re just a little too old to be trick-or-treating you should try to blend into the crowd by being a ghost or a grim reaper. Bill obviously didn’t get that memo.
6. New Girl: Jess Day as Joey Romona Quimby
With any luck, this mashup will some day be the answer to a Jeopardy! question.
7. 30 Rock: Liz Lemon as Harry Potter
Judging from the expression, this must have been Order of the Phoenix Harry.
8. Glee: Kurt and Blaine as Snooki and The Situation
The appropriate use of a Halloween spray tan.
9. Charmed: Leo as a WWII Solider
Leo earns a place on the list just for being able to party as a young man in the ’90s as the young man he was in the ’40s.