A refreshing summer cocktail made with a vinegary kombucha blackberry shrub and fresh basil.
- For shrub
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- ½ cup maple syrup (can also use sugar or honey, etc.)
- 1 cup vinegary kombucha (can also use unflavored, raw kombucha)
- 2-4 Tablespoons loosely packed basil leaves and blossoms
- For cocktail (or mocktail):
- Crushed ice
- 2 ounces kombucha scrub
- 2 ounces liqueur (optional)
- Sparkling mineral water
- extra berries and basil blossoms, for garnish
- For shrub- place berries, maple syrup, basil, and blossoms in a large jar. Mash well to release the berry juices. Add the kombucha vinegar. Cover and let steep in the refrigerator at least 24 hours for best flavor. Strain, pressing down on the berries to get as much juice as possible. Discard the pulp. Keep in the refrigerator in a lidded jar until ready to use.
- To make a cocktail – place desired amount of ice in a glass and add the kombucha scrub and liqueur, if using. Fill the glass with sparkling water and garnish. Serve immediately.
Makes about 2 cups of blackberry shrub syrup.
It is optional using 1 part shrub to 4 parts soda water with a splash of your preferred liqueur or whiskey.