Here Are Five Simple Tips To Help You Get Started On Your Weight Loss Journey

A few years back, there was a craze to lose weight and be thin because apparently, that was the universal body standard. Everybody was running after a size 0, and the media used to glorify thin and toned figures as the ultimate body goal for everyone. This resulted in an increase in severe eating disorder cases among many young girls. Thankfully, the outlook towards a healthy life has changed a lot over the years. Now, most people know that the goal should be following a proper and balanced diet and maintaining a healthy weight. As more and more people realize this, many people have incorporated practices in their daily routine that highlight healthy living while also losing the extra flab. However, for beginners, a new routine or the discipline needed can be quite intimidating and tedious. So here are five tips to help you get started:

Come Up With A Healthy Eating Plan

If you immediately change your entire meal plan with immediate weight loss in mind, that might not be a good idea at all. Many people find it hard to give up their favorite food overnight. So instead of banning that food right away from your kitchen, try to gradually change up your meal plans slowly. You can start by replacing the usual junk food that you like snacking on with healthy alternatives. For instance, go for fresh fruits instead of a bag of chips. Also, include lots of vegetables of various colors in your diet; experts often talk about forming a rainbow in your plate so keep that in mind. Have fish, lean meat, and other types of low-calorie food which will help you stay active and energetic. While you look for healthy alternatives, it is important to keep away from food that you know can be a hindrance for your weight loss goals. Ban heavily processed food from your daily diet and see how good you feel in just a few weeks.

Take It Slow

Whatever your weight loss goals are, it is important to take this journey one step at a time — change can’t happen overnight. Experts suggest making one significant change every week. This will help you get adjusted with your new lifestyle and eating habits. The best way to beat the temptation of eating unhealthy store-bought food is by keeping healthier options in your fridge all the time. Plan for your next meal well in advance, and make sure you have all the ingredients at home. Get a new recipe book and make cooking time interesting by trying new but healthier recipes.

Set Achievable Goals

We always start with big goals in mind and think that if we do not lose that much in a stipulated time, then we are a failure. That is not true! Research shows that even losing 5% to 10% of our body weight can make us feel more energetic. It can also be great for those who are suffering from chronic diseases like low blood sugar, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol level. Losing 1 to 2 pounds every week is perfect, so keeping that in mind, set realistic goals for yourself. With time, you might be able to fit into your old jeans again!

Don’t Be Too Hard On Yourself

When following a certain diet plan, it can often get quite challenging, especially when it comes to controlling and overcoming our cravings. Some days, we might even give in and end up eating a slice of greasy pizza. But don’t feel too guilty when you end up straying from your usual diet plan. It’s okay to have bad days and miss going to the gym. Reward yourself for achieving small goals and don’t punish yourself by missing your next meal. Instead, run an extra mile in your next work out.

Get Some Company

It is always good to follow a routine along with a friend. If you have a friend who is trying to lose weight as well, it is best to do this together. Compare notes, discuss your slip-ups, and motivate each other all the time. Check with each other to see if both of you are following the rules 80% of the time and allowing yourself to cut some slack the other 20%. In fact, allow a cheat day when you can have your favorite snack or dessert in moderate portions.

Apart from all these rules, exercising is a must and that’s a given. When you’re feeling lazy to work out in the gym, you can go for a simple, 30-minute exercise routine at home. These may all seem scary, but you’ll eventually get used to it and achieve your body goals in no time!