Let’s pretend we’re at brunch.
What are you going to choose? A stack of toasty Belgium waffles with fresh berries and cream? Or a 3-egg omelet with all the trimmings?
For me, food is very much mood-based. And guess what’s not on my crave list…
I’m a golden waffle/ buttermilk pancake/ chocolate croissant/ kind of gal when I want to indulge
But I don’t dislike eggs entirely. I’ll eat a hard boiled egg in a potato salad… and sometimes I’ll do sunny side up on toast. Maybe scrambled. With hot sauce.
Eggs are just too rich for my taste.
So, why the recipe?
Because once in a while the mood strikes.
I ditch the yolks (save for pasta carbonara) and make an egg white omelet. This version is California inspired, stuffed with creamy avocado slices and goat cheese. For crunch, I add sprouts. There’s all kinds of interesting sprouts at the supermarket these days; alfalfa, spicy radish, and sunflower to name a few. I’m using broccoli sprouts. I have a pack in the fridge and add them to salads and sandwiches when I remember.
Speaking of, when I was in kindergarten we used to grow sprouts as an activity. We had our own little jars filled with seeds and water. They were lined up near a sunny window, and within days, they began to grow. You can easily do this at home too.
I remember this vividly, of course. It’s food related.
And for the pièce de résistance: pickled jalapeños!
My passionate love affair with these spicy, briny wheels of heaven runs deep. I’ll eat them straight from the jar. Not kidding. And that vinegary juice? Drizzle it over pizza! You have no idea how delicious it is.
I adore hot peppers with eggs because it cuts through the richness.
Now, if I had to choose, I’d probably go for the waffle. But this is my kind of omelet… done light.
- tiny pat of butter
- 2 egg whites, lightly beat
- a few avocado slices
- small handful of sprouts (I used broccoli)
- 2 tbsp. crumbled goat cheese
- pickled jalapeños, to taste
- In a small, non-stick pan warm the butter over low heat.
- Add the egg whites.
- Meanwhile, slice your avocado. Since you’ll only need a few slices, wrap the rest to make guacamole if you want.
- Have a look at your eggs; they should be starting to set.
- Add the avocado, sprouts, and goat cheese. Fold the egg over to one side.
- Slide onto a plate and top with pickled jalapeños to serve.