- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 4 slices crusty whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons blueberry jam, store-bought or homemade (recipe follows)
- 4 tablespoons natural creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
Using three tablespoons of the butter, coat one side of each bread slice. Spread the non-buttered side of two pieces with jam. Spread the non-buttered side of the other two pieces with peanut butter. Place a slice of cheddar on the peanut butter sides and close up the halves to make sandwiches.
Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Quick Blueberry Jam
Makes 2 cups
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
In a medium saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Cook over high heat, mashing the fruit with a potato masher or fork, until the berries have released their juices. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the mixture has thickened. Let cool and then transfer the jam to a clean glass jar. Store in the refrigerator for up to one month.