For the Soup:
- 2 medium butternut squash, sliced in half and seed scooped out
- 2 large carrots, chopped into large pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeds removed
- 1 head garlic
- 1 shallot, halved and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup milk, heavy cream or coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons sambal
For the Garlic Bread:
- 1 16-ounce loaf of Italian bread or French bread
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon of freshly chopped basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
For the soup:
- Preheat oven to 425
- Place the halves of squash on a large baking sheet with the roast the squash, carrot, bell pepper, garlic and shallot, roast for for 50-60 minutes until the squash is fork tender.
- Once cooked, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Scoop out the insides of the butternut squash and discard the skins. Transfer all the vegetables to a high powered blender and add the liquids and sambal. Puree for 2-3 minutes until completely smooth. Transfer the liquids back into a pot and bring to a simmer. Serve as needed with a side of garlic bread.
For the garlic bread:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the bread in half, horizontally. Mix the butter, garlic, and basil together in a small bowl. Spread butter mixture over the the two bread halves. Place on a sturdy baking pan and heat in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over bread if you want. Return to oven on the highest rack. Broil on high heat for 2-3 minutes until the edges of the bread begin to toast and the cheese bubbles. Watch very carefully while broiling.
- Remove from oven, let cool a minute, slice and serve.