Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Calories: 514 | Carbs: 32g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 21g
• 1 head of lettuce (to use as burrito shell)
• 1 Lebanese/English cucumber, thinly sliced
• 1 spring onion shoot, chopped
• 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (a healthier alternative to sour cream)
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 1 cup shitake mushrooms, chopped
• 1 red pepper (capsicum), chopped
• Half of a medium white onion, chopped
• 1 cup of broccoli, chopped
• 1 can of four bean mix OR 500g chicken, chopped
• 1 cup brown rice (or an alternative such as sweet potato mash or buckwheat)
• 2 medium avocados
• 1 medium tomato, chopped
• 1 small red onion, chopped
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1/2 cup of cilantro (coriander), chopped
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp chilli powder
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1/2 tsp oregano
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• 1/2 tsp onion powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1. Start cooking your rice or alternative. This can cook on the side while you prepare the rest.
2. In small bowl, mix all the seasoning ingredients together in a jar, put a lid on it and give it a shake. Set aside.
3. Finely chop your onion, mushrooms, broccoli and red pepper (capsicum). Add coconut oil and onion to pan and fry for one minute on medium heat.
4. Add your chopped chicken or four bean mix and stir until almost cooked through, then add and stir through mushrooms, broccoli, red pepper (capsicum) and the seasoning. Cover pan and let simmer for five minutes on low heat.
5. While your pan is simmering, finely chop cucumber and spring onion and place in separate bowl.
6. For the guacamole, start by spooning the whole avocado into a bowl and mashing and mixing with a fork until desired consistency. Finely chop tomato, red onion and cilantro and add them to the bowl. Add a generous squeeze of lime and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Wash and cut core and stem from lettuce. Peal leaves from lettuce trying to keep them whole—they will become your burrito bowls.
8. Place each part in a separate bowl ready to build and share your burritos. You should have five bowls:
• Cooked meat or beans from pan
• Rice (or equivalent)
• Fresh cucumber and spring onion mix
Now your share bowls are ready to go. Grab your lettuce and pack it with as much or as little ingredients as you like, fold it up and enjoy!