Serves 4 to 6 as a main, 10 as an appetizer
- 3 or 4 large crowns of broccoli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely sliced (optional)
- Tomato, chopped (optional)
- Onion, chopped (optional)
- Sour cream with lime juice
- Guacamole (avocado, lime juice, salt)
- Turn oven to 400° F and let it come to temperature while you chop the broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Toss the broccoli pieces into a large roasting pan or sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Gently mix the broccoli with your hands to make sure the broccoli is coated with oil and salt.
- Roast broccoli for 15 minutes (or just 12 minutes if you like the broccoli to remain a little crunchy in the center).
- While the broccoli roasts, grate your cheese and prepare and choose your other toppings.
- Once the broccoli has roasted for 15 minutes remove it from the oven and sprinkle the cheese, black beans, scallions and any other toppings you choose over the roasted broccoli. Do your best to evenly disburse the cheese so every piece of broccoli gets a bit cheesy.
- Place the tray back in the oven and roast for another 5 minutes. If you like it really crispy turn the broiler on for the last 2 minutes and place the tray underneath.
- During the last few minutes of roasting, relax or prepare any of the dips and sauces.
- Remove the broccoli nachos from the oven. Serve as is or top the tray with drizzles of sour cream and salsa or dollops of guacamole.