- 2 tablesppons olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 small diced bell pepper (red was used in this recipe)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (celery leaves for garnish)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/4 cups long grain brown rice (we used Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Brown Rice)
- 3 cups broth, vegetable or chicken, fat-free
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 (14.5) ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp (deveined and peeled, leave tails on if desired)
Add oil to a large skillet and turn to medium-low heat, add onion, bell pepper, and celery and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute. Add rice, stir and cook 3-4 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, except shrimp, bring to a rolling boil, cover and reduce to a simmer until rice is tender, about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. NOTE: The amount of time it takes to get the rice tender will depend on the long grain brand. Uncle Ben’s takes about 30 minutes.
Add shrimp and cook, over medium-low heat, until pink, about 6 minutes. Turn off stove burner and allow to set covered for 5 minutes. Add celery leaves as a garnish, if desired.